"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Humble Creatures on the Farm


Here are Daisy and Maizy...our newest additions to the farm. Originally we planned on having goats to raise kids to sell, and make goat milk soap. Now we may, on this path of simplicity actually use the milk for our own consumption. Of course, the real blessing is that we have 3 uses for the goats. I think that goats are a great asset to the farm!


Here is part of the new flock. It is a mixed flock, of 19 hens, a rooster and 9 chicks. My thoughts after collecting 25 eggs in 2 days are HIP HIP HURRAY!!! I have observed that 3 are not laying so true to our motto we will be harvesting these for the freezer(No lay no stay). I will watch for a full week, just in case the move caused the ceasing in laying. This flock will totally be for eggs to eat and to hatch to perpetuate the hens we utilize for meat. The Dominique's and Turkens will be to raise to sell the chicks, and for eggs to sell.

Still feeling like I am in a cloud, so as you look out in the sky, you may see me!lol

5 comments:

retha said...

Freshly laid eggs! I can't even remember when last I saw thAt. And 'they' say goats milk is better for us to drink than cows milk.

MightyMom said...

I'm headed over to the D-N for some eggs and grits and fried chicken!!

just watch out for those goats! My Grandma used to raise goats, and one day someone didn't shut the screen door all the way and she came home to find a goat on her bed...eating her BRAND NEW EASTER HAT!

being a woman who very rarely got mad......

she was downright furious!!

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

I was rejoicing with you when I saw those first eggs. I am so happy. The goats are great but I hope one day you have at least one cow. Then you can have milk, butter, buttermilk, ice cream and if the cow produces you will have meat. Of course you said that you are not much of a meat eater. But a lot of meat comes from beef. Oh, well just a thought.lol connie from Texas

Pam said...

No Lay, No Stay! Cute catchy slogan! (Poor chickens)
I love your new license plates in your sidebar!

YUM-the thought of fresh farm egg has my mouth watering as I remember eating at my Uncle's farm in WVA. Of course we had homemade biscuits, bacon or sausage, fried 'taters with those eggs - oh and fresh milk from their cow! It has been years since I've experienced that. I'm longing for a visit to WV now!

poet-of-israel said...

May the goats - give abundance of fresh milk - far healthier too!!!

I hope you will 'allow a stay of termination' of those chickens - a wee while longer - they may have learnt the error of their ways - and produce on mass!!!