"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bits of the Farm


Here is Fourth, today. It is very cold here, that darn global warming bites again!


The duck pen. If you are wondering about the green thing in the background, it was at my local grocery store by the dumpster. I asked the manager if I could salvage this~one because I thought it was cool! and two because it has many purposes. This has four shelves(circular) and this was the banana top to the banana stand that is usually in the cereal aisle. The shelves are currently in the green house.


Here is the new coop yard. It is next to the duck pen, and will house the 19 hens. We will keep the chick brooder with the 9 new chicks with this batch of hens.


Every morning I muck out the coops, and the dust leaves residual on the recycled windows...I wrote a message for my sweetie, can you see it?


Remember the Mesquite trees and the branches with the thorns? We dug out 19 in the backyard. We have a pile of the branches...to get rid of, but I was thinking as I was doing the dishes and came up with this idea. I wove the branches(with many pokes and thorns to my hands) in the chicken wire. This gives shade to the yard in the afternoon. Eventually I will do the top also, and the new coop yard. Happy chickens lay yummy eggs and taste even better!!


Turkens you wonder???They are the brown birds. They have no feathers around the neck and look(to me) creepy. But they are chickens. The white one is a turkey and you can tell a turkey by the little pimple like bump on his head. Here is a photo of what a turken will look like full grown. I went on a tour of a farm that has rare breeds of birds and she had these little ones. She offered the male and female to me to start up breeding and selling turkens. I figured why not? I mean if we do nothing but eat the eggs and raise them, it will be fine with me. And I took the birds others must be willing too, right??lol


Yes, you could definitely say that living in the southwest has inspired this perch. I made this with branches from around the property. We had one perch in the coop, and I knew that they needed more so here it is.



I was not sure if it could be seen clearly so I brought it to the yard, and up a hen jumped to test it in the yard.


I tried to take another shot, bird free...no such luck. That is Colonel Sanders in the shot giving me the once over!


Thanks for visiting me on the farm. I hope you understand that we are trying to reuse or salvage nearly everything that we can, and still live cozy and comfy being the best stewards that we can be.

8 comments:

A Note From Theresa said...

Very good pictures. Fourth does look cold :)

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

I just love coming here. It brings back so many childhood memories. What fun, hard, hard work and yet so many lessons of great value. I just love it. connie from Texas

Oh, btw, I left you an award on my blog.

Rancher said...

Love the farm post. We're getting rain today and it sure is cold. I've started a Victory Garden but so far just a few corn shoots have survived the cold nights.

Harry said...

What you are doing here is very cool, but for some reason, the theme from Green Acres just started playing in my head.

MightyMom said...

as soon as I find Harry, I'm gonna beat him about the head and shoulders repeatedly for planting that song in my head!!

Eilleen said...

thanks for this post. We want to build a chook pen eventually when we get our vege garden sorted. I'll definitely be using some of your ideas when we get to it!

(and yes, those chickens with no feathers on their necks look creepy to me too...)

Pam said...

Jen Loves Bill! How sweet!
I am learning so much here. I bet my dad knows all about this kind of stuff you are sharing, as he was raised on a working farm, my mom too for that matter. However, I never realized that fowl needed so much furniture!

I'm in shock that anyone would need a jacket these days! We are frying down here!

Writer in Residence said...

Poor 'Fourth' - she does look ever so cold.

The uncertainty of the weather - does make one wonder of the possible future outcomes

I luv all things to do with a farm and seeing your photo's only make me wish I taken such an undertaking - to be at one with nature.