"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kitchen and Update


Here is the cupboard over the stove. As always I must give a peek to things. The house we live in, is an older home and built with quick, easy, cheap materials. The cupboards are a cardboard style fill covered with a shelf liner(which I painted). We plan on taking all the cupboards out and just put in wooden shelves, but for now, this is my solution.

As we have an abundance of chicken wire, I implemented it here. Originally in the space there was a glass insert, with flowers and gold looking swirls. Now it has this! The knob has a nickel on it, for The Double Nickel.

If you look to the upper left corner you can see where I had stopped painting for the day, to complete the cupboards! The walls are vinyl(yes, vinyl). So I painted them this brown. The color is Iron Earth, and I really like it. The other two colors I use are cream and a barn red. Soon I will have the indoors revamped. Then I will give you a tour.

UPDATE: We just picked up the newest members of the Double Nickel Farm...solely for the freezer.

These are Rouen ducks, and a turkey. We were supposed to get two turkeys, but one died yesterday, and this one has a cut on the leg. But we patched it up, and will only pray, as this is Captain Swanson(from the Swanson TV dinner fame)and he has a very important role on Thanksgiving;0)

~ now I amback to work
Jennifer

10 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I like what you have done! I tell you what. We will come help you take out and redo your cabinets, and you can come help us!

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

I love your cabinets. Who would have thought to use chicken wire on your cabinets in place of glass. I will have to tell my oldest daughter in law about this. She will love it too. connie from Texas

Have a great day, Jen.

Penless Thoughts said...

Love the look of the cupboards.
Susan

retha said...

It looks like my grandmothers'!
They had a cupboard-that I really wanted. It was similar to yours now, it had another part underneath, with doors. That has a finer wire on the inside of the frame. (Hope that sounds like a description.)
A great plan to paint over the vinyl.

Hope your Captain continue to grow successfully.

Daughter of the King said...

I love this look that you are achieving...
congrats on having your Thanksgiving plans already in the works..we should all buy our stuff now before we CAN'T afford it..
Deby

writer-in-residence said...

Creative are your many talents Jennifer.

Alas painting - is not my forte!!!

Memories for a Lifetime said...

You sure have an insightful mind!! I love the way you make things better and to work for you and your family!!

Thanks for the snapshots of your home/life.

Jackie said...

We sing a little ditty at Thanksgiving. I wish I could sing it for you to get the full affect, but here are the lyrics at least:

We are fat turkeys, fat turkeys, fat turkeys.
We are fat turkeys
Fat turkeys are we.
We're not here for living;
We're here for Thanksgiving!
We are fat turkeys, fat turkeys are we.

Mobunny said...

I AM the oldest daughter in law......and I love the chicken wire in the cabinet doors. I'll have to tell my father in law about it.........

Pam said...

I LOVE the chicken wire and nickel. Even more, I love the touch the rope makes. You created something that I would have done in my last home.So country and farm housey! Great going Jen!